The environmental benefits of the DIGITALIFE project are:
- 44% total energy saving achieved by reducing the kiln cycle necessary to coat the ceramic surface with TiO2 and avoiding the drying step (certified by LCA calculations).
- Almost 30% water saving (i.e. 160 g/m2) given by shifting from the spraying technology to the
digital printing technology (the water consumption during the manufacturing, wet brushing in
particular, is negligible).
- Saving of at least 50% of TiO2 (up to about 0,9 g/m2). In this way the use of TiO2 is much more
optimised and much less TiO2 is wasted. Moreover the TiO2 powder dispersed in the ink has
~1µm size, in comparison with possibly harmful nanometric powders present on the market today
[2011, NIOSH, Occupational Exposure to Titanium Dioxide].
- Less than 30% solvent-based on substances of petrochemical origin (solvents are currently
based of anti-settling agents, by using TiO2 water-based ink).
In socio-economic terms the benefits are also:
- 20% cost reduction and 15-20% timing reduction.
- Availability of cost-effective and sustainable products that enhance air quality.
- The demonstration of a technology able to avoid potentially harmful nanometric powders, further
pushing the market towards sustainable and safe solutions.
- Reduction of the pressure on water resources, with the consequent benefits for citizens and
- Reduction of TiO2 waste and excess
- Stimulating citizens to the adoption of photocatalytic tiles having sound positive anti-bacterial and